Sun and Moon Fade is designed for three colors that fade out from the center, much like the halo effect around the sun and moon. Its construction is unlike that of any other design, to my knowledge. The pattern begins in the round, where increases expand the circle to size. The circle is then squared off using German Short rows, and the side, bottom and top panels are worked back and forth from there. The pattern is worked in two pieces (front and back), with minimal seaming located at the shoulders and sides only. The front and back are identical other than some added shaping for the shoulders to the back piece. Choose from short, three-quarter or long sleeves.
A (B, C, D, E, F) (G, H, I, J) (K, L, M, N, O) (P, Q, R, S)
Graded to fit with 4 in / 10 cm of positive ease in the bust. Sleeves intended to fit with 4.5-5.5 in / 11.5-14 cm of positive ease in the bicep. See Schematic in image gallery for more sizing details.
26.5 sts and 36 rnds equals 4 in / 10 cm worked flat in stockinette stitch
• 1 unique BOR marker, 12 additional markers, 4 removable markers, darning needle
• Optional: scrap yarn for holding live shoulder sts during blocking
Any fingering weight yarn.
Sun sample and Moon sample use Less Traveled Yarn Paloma light fingering, 90% superwash merino, 10% silk (463 yards / 100 grams / 423 meters per skein)
Written for 3 colors:
Color X (circle)
Color Y (squaring off the circle and the beginning of each panel–sides, bottom and top)
Color Z (completing the panels and working the sleeves)
The needle sizes below are a recommendation. Please use the needle size that achieves gauge for you.
Main: US 3 / 3.0 mm
• Four DPNs (recommended for cast-on and beginning of the circle)
• 16 in / 40 cm circulars
• 24 in / 60 cm circulars for graduating to within the circle and for holding front panel shoulder stitches
• 32 in / 80 cm circulars or longer for working the body, shoulders and sleeves and for cast-on and beginning of the circle if using magic loop instead of DPNs
• 32 in / 80 cm additional set of circulars or longer for working the back body and shoulders
• Small circumference needles or DPNs for the sleeves if not using magic loop
Ribbing: US 2 / 2.75 mm
• 32 in / 80 cm or longer for hem and cuffs; small circumference needles or DPNs for the cuffs if not using magic loop
Click the yardage table in the image gallery for yardage info. Yardage includes a 10% buffer. Choose from short, three-quarter or long sleeves, as itemized below. Please note that since the instructions for the circle are the same for all sizes, Color X yardage is also the same for all sizes.